In November of 2011 I broke my leg, playing hockey, so I was searching for a way to jump-start my recovery. My Crossfit experience began the following March and it has transformed me.
There have been so many benefits:
- Since the end of competitive sports I have not been able to retain motivation for exercise. Now I can’t wait to go to Crossfit. I wish I could attend more.
- My cholesterol has dropped 18 points, (eliminating the need for medication).
- I’ve become part of a family of individuals who share common goals and care deeply about each other’s success.
- My mental health has improved dramatically: Personal boundaries have been crushed. Self-confidence has grown. Stress levels are at an all time low. I have focus and feel calm.
- I have no dietary limitations, yet I choose to eat healthier and drink significantly less. Because of this I feel amazing.
- My work life has benefitted dramatically due to an uptick in productivity.
- I’ve shed my body fat and replaced it with muscle.
- Every time I repeat a workout, I have been measurably better than the time before.
- The movements (handstands, kipping pull-ups, sledge hammers, tire flips, Etc.) are so much more fun than any standard gym exercises,
- I know the names of at least 75% of the members and have made many friends. That doesn’t happen at a standard gym.
How do these benefits manifest themselves? The secret sauce is the atmosphere created by the coaches and athletes. This competitive environment has a buzz about it when everyone’s adrenaline starts pumping. The countdown starts, “Athletes ready, 3-2-1, GO!” and it’s on. No one is done until the last athlete finishes. Grunts, groans, screams and loud music are followed by cheers, bells and congratulations. It’s a rush. My personal challenges have been flexibility and strength. Each and every coach has taken an interest to get me to a place where I can complete all of the movements today and at significantly more load than just a short eight months ago. To destroy a previous personal record is incredibly satisfying and motivational. I’ve come a long way and look forward to continual improvement for many years at Crossfit Synergistics. CC, MLE, Glenn, Matt, Joe and John- Thank you for a better me. Steven Collins